Sunday, February 6, 2011

Conversation Hearts

So my friend Tia told me about home made conversation hearts. More trouble than they're worth? Oh yeah, but so cute. Here's a link to a recipe. My tips: make sure the sugar dough doesn't try out before you roll it out for cutting. Some of mine are pretty grainy for this reason. This is a messy project. Powdered sugar was flying everywhere, and I'm kind of surprised I'm not still stuck to the floor. I also managed to kill my hand mixer (Black and Decker WITH TURBO BOOST) at the end there. If you attempt this, have an extra bag of powdered sugar on hand for the hand kneading. I added in a lot more during this step than I expected.  For flavors, I used peppermint and vanilla extracts, and a super secret ingredient (shhhh...lemon and cherry Jell-O). I would have used Kool-Aid packets, but couldn't find any. Kool Aid flavors would have been excellent.

3 comments:

  1. Mwahahaha! My evil plan to get you to try making these things first worked!

    I'm probably still going to give them a try. Where on earth did you find such tiny heart cutters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tia,
    If Sarah won't share, her evil plan to make sure you can't make any hearts as cute as hers I have a few sizes--From Big to teeny tiny.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll gladly share my heart cutters, as they may never be used again...I really don't think I can give NECCO a run for the money.

    ReplyDelete